Real Estate Law, Foreclosure Defense, Title Insurance, Business Law, Estate Planning, Probate

Tel: 954-796-9600 | Toll-free: 1-877-815-4560

We are operational and in compliance with state and federal guidelines. We are available to provide services such as Wills, Quitclaim deeds, durable powers of attorneys, probate services, and living Wills as well as title searches.
If you need help dealing with your bank or other mortgage holders in this financial crisis, give us a call.
All remotely and off-premises and electronically or email.

Contact Us   Call (954) 796-9600

What Is Probate and How Can I Avoid it?

What Is Probate & How Can I Avoid It?

Probate is the Court-supervised procedure by which someone who dies can get the property they leave behind at the time of death to their designated beneficiaries.

Negatives To Probate

  1. Costs involved (thousands of dollars in probate attorney fees & court costs)
  2. Length of time it takes (6-12 months)

Do I Need To Have A Probate If I have a Will?


If you own anything in your own name at the time of your death, a probate will be necessary to distribute your assets as you would like them to be distributed.

Do I Need To Have A Probate If I Do Not Have A Will?


The answer is the same as above, EXCEPT that you don’t get to say how your assets are to be distributed. Instead, Florida statutes control who gets your assets, which may no be the way you would like it to be distributed.

How Can I Avoid Probate?

There are a number of ways to avoid probate.

  • Joint Ownership of Real or Personal Property

    This refers to ownership of real property or personal property (banks accounts, etc.) with another person. The survivor gets ownership upon your death without probate. Husband and wife can take title as “tenants by the entireties”, which is a special type of joint tenancy reserved for married couples. It gives protection against the creditors of one or the other one of the two partners, as well as avoiding probate.

  • Life Estate Quitclaim Deed

    You own the property until your death at which time it goes to the person you name as the “remainderman”.

    Caveat – if you want to sell the property during your lifetime or refinance the property, you will need the remainderman to agree and sign also, UNLESS you use.

  • “Ladybird” Quitclaim Deed

    Also known as an “Enhanced life estate deed”, this deed allows you to sell the property during your lifetime or refinance WITHOUT the consent of the remainderman. You still own it during your lifetime, and upon your death it goes to your designated “remainderman” without the need for probate.

  • Transfer On Death (T.O.D.)

    T.O.D. accounts allow you to transfer the asset, usually stocks or other securities, upon your death directly to a named beneficiary.

  • Pay On Death (P.O.D.)

    P.O.D. accounts, usually used for bank accounts or certificates of deposit. Are paid to the named beneficiary upon your death without the need for probate.

  • Revocable Living Trusts

    All of your assets are placed in your name as Trustee of your trust and upon your death, your successor Trustee distributes your assets in accordance with your directions and no probate is required.

Probate Attorney In Coral Springs

If you have any questions about the above, please feel free to contact Gary I. Handin, Attorney at Law by phone at 954-796-9600 or by email at 

For more helpful legal information like this, check out our legal blog and follow Handin Law on Facebook.

Spread the love

Law Offices of
Gary I. Handin, P.A.

Providing professional legal services for the city of Coral Springs. Contact us today for a free consultation – 954-796-9600.

Contact Us