Real Estate Law, Foreclosure Defense, Title Insurance, Business Law, Estate Planning, Probate

Tel: 954-796-9600 | Toll-free: 1-877-815-4560

We are operational and in compliance with state and federal guidelines. We are available to provide services such as Wills, Quitclaim deeds, durable powers of attorneys, probate services, and living Wills as well as title searches.
If you need help dealing with your bank or other mortgage holders in this financial crisis, give us a call.
All remotely and off-premises and electronically or email.

Contact Us   Call (954) 796-9600

Florida Real Estate Law: How To Resolve Boundary Disputes

real estate law

An argument over boundary lines can be stressful. When you’re involved in a boundary dispute, it’s important to hire a real estate law professional to help you resolve the matter. Whether because of an inaccurate deed or even an unrecorded one, our professional lawyers at The Law Offices of Gary I. Handin, P.A. are experienced in handling legal matters like these.

What are Boundary Disputes?

A boundary dispute will analyze whether you or your neighbor is encroaching on someone’s property. Neighbor disputes are common in real estate law and a lawyer can help you order a survey. A licensed surveyor will locate the boundary of the property based on the description in the deed. This can help determine whether any land is being encroached on.

What is a Title Search?

A title search looks for any recorded documents for your property. It can show any deeds or easements that may affect your property line. For example, a previous owner may have given an easement to a neighbor that you just know are learning about after purchasing the land. A lawyer who specializes in real estate law can determine if you have a valid claim and pursue litigation if you cannot reach an agreement with the other party.

Dealing with Disputes

When a boundary dispute occurs in Florida, it’s important you deal with it quickly. Show them supporting documents such as deeds, property surveys, or insurance paperwork, as it may help you achieve a positive outcome. In many cases, the area and value of the land are so small that it is best to avoid court. A meditator can help give both parties a realistic look at what will occur if it proceeds into court. Always consult with a real estate law attorney prior to speaking with a neighbor. They specialize in these matters and can give professional advice on how to proceed.

Our real estate law attorney can send a demand letter that offers to settle with a compromise of how to divide the property. It may also offer or request monetary compensation to settle this boundary dispute. Being as open and honest with your neighbor, including providing any evidence of your claim, helps ensure you get the results you’re looking for.

Types of Lawsuits Regarding Boundary Disputes

There are two common lawsuits associated with boundary disputes in Florida:

  1. Declaratory judgment: This allows a judge to determine to whom the land actually belongs. With this lawsuit, no monetary damages are involved.
  2. Ejectment: Also known as a continuing trespass action, this involves asking a court to find that your neighbor has trespassed on your land. If they are found on your property, they must have any possessions or added structures off your land immediately. If you can prove that the value of your property has lowered, you may also be eligible for damages.

Learn How a Real Estate Law Attorney Can Help Resolve Boundary Disputes

When you want to resolve boundary disputes with a neighbor, hire a real estate law attorney, stat. Our legal team represents clients in these property disputes easily. We have years of experience helping our clients get the results they want and deserve. To schedule a consultation to learn more about our legal services, call our Coral Springs law office or visit The Law Offices of Gary I. Handin, P.A.’s Facebook page. We serve all of Broward, Miami-Dade, and West Palm Beach counties respectively.

Spread the love

Law Offices of
Gary I. Handin, P.A.

Providing professional legal services for the city of Coral Springs. Contact us today for a free consultation – 954-796-9600.

Contact Us